Earth Day is one of my FAVORITE DAYS OF THE YEAR!!! I LOVE celebrating the beauty of our blue-green planet, and I LOVE seeing everyone making a contributing effort to protect the environment. But... what about all of the other days of the year?
We have reached a point in human history where our actions have had such a severe impacted on Earth that we have tipped the scales off balance. We have thrown Mother Earth out of harmony. As a consequence, we have put the survival of every single living being on the planet in jeopardy. Many are already extinct! Ooofff.... that is a big responsibility to shoulder, and many have chosen to ignore the facts regarding the critical state that our planet is in. We are at a fork in the road, and the time has come where we need to make a decision about what really matters. Will we continue down the road of greed, materialism + global destruction? Or will we make the necessary changes to pivot our priorities to focus on the health of people + planet? What will take precedence?
For those of us that that love our Mother, we understand the dire circumstances we face. We know that Earth needs our help. Here are a few ideas to celebrate our beautiful planet + be of service to make our world a better place this Earth Day + everyday:
1. Get outside and connect with Nature. It is a simple fact is that the more connected we feel to Mother Nature, the better stewards of the environment we will become. If you aren't connecting with Mother Nature on a regular basis, this is the best place to start! Get acquainted! For city dwellers who need some help, check out my article "Connecting with Nature in the Urban Jungle."
2. Be an informed + conscious consumer. Every time you spend your money, you are voting with your dollar for what kind of world you want to live in. Think of using the money you spend as an investment in your future! Because it is! Choose to support companies that respect their workers and the environment!
3. Plant a tree! Or a few! One of the many challenges we face is rapid deforestation. Our blue-green planet is quickly becoming less and less green each year! If you do not own property, you can still plant a tree! I live in an apartment building so I am teaming up with One Tree Planted. My goal is to plant at least 20 trees this Earth Day. You can do this too! $1 for 1 tree! What a great deal! Either visit their website to plant some trees of your own OR make a purchase at alexlozier.com. Because I believe that EVERYDAY IS EARTH DAY, I am committed to planting 1 tree for each and every online order all year long. Save the environment, support an artist, AND buy a new piece of jewelry?!?!?! WIN, WIN, WIN!
4. Hug a tree!
5. Clean up your local environment!
6. Commit to eating organic. By choosing organic food, we are protecting the health of our bodies + the environment by saying NO to cancerous pesticides, GMOs, mono crop farming, and soil depletion. Science has proven that not only can small organic farming feed more people, it does not have the same devastating effects on the land as commercial industrial farming.
7. Eat more vegetables. Raising livestock for meat consumption requires an incredible amount of energy and is one of the leading causes of green houses gases. By reducing your meat consumption, you can reduce your environmental impact. Major bonus points for planting an organic garden of your own!
8. Use less plastic. Ditch the single use plastic water bottles, bags, take out utensils, straws, etc. Choose reusable options and create less waste!
9. Invest in a carbon offset program. Aspiration Bank is an online eco-conscious bank with an awesome program that automatically offsets your carbon footprint with every gas purchase you make just by using your debit card! I know we aren't really traveling that much during quarantine, but I encourage you to take the time to set this up now. You can put your carbon offset program on autopilot for only $3.99/mo. Sign up during the month of April to start with a $50 BONUS in your account which will pay for the first year of offsetting your carbon footprint! How can you say no?! Click here to get started!
10. Give Mother Earth your love + gratitude. Sing her a song. Pray for her health. Participate in any of the steps above. Share this article with your family + friends! Tune in on Instagram LIVE to participate in ceremony with me to celebrate Earth Day together! There are so many ways to spread love + gratitude! Let's all do our part to raise awareness + solidarity for environmental consciousness!
This year Earth Day falls upon the New Moon in Taurus on April 22nd. Please join me for a ceremonial Celebration of Mother Gaia to set some intentions for healing the people + planet. Tune in on Instagram @alexlozierjewelry at 8:30PM EST on 4/22.